View Single Post
Old 08-05-2008, 10:13   #6
andygrif
Inactive

andygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze array
andygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze array
Re: Freesat from Sky

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverLady View Post
I'm getting a bit confused over this Freesat. How does the existing free sat service you get from Sky differ from the new one being introduced by BBC, ITV.
I think there's a lot of confusion, Sky introduced their Freesat from Sky service last year in response to the news that the BBC and ITV were setting up their own Freesat product. The fact that they both have the same name is crazy IMHO.

But basically Freesat from Sky is all the free to air (FTA) channels (about 200 I think, mostly what's on Freeview and shopping channels) that you get through a Sky receiver. Sky like this route as it gives the box owner an upgrade path to Sky subscriptions.

Freesat requires you to buy a new box (from £50) and will usually work with your existing Sky satellite dish if you have one. If not, you'll need one installed. Freesat has fewer channels than Freesat from Sky, but nothing of any serious note is missing and if you have an HD capable television then Freesat will offer two HD channels free of charge, with more likely later in the year.

Freesat from Sky is good for people who already have a Sky box but don't want to pay for their channels.

Freesat is good for people who want Freeview but perhaps can't receive it or for those that want free HD channels, oh and of course those (and there are plenty here) that don't like giving any money to anyone with the surname Murdoch!

Hope this helps....
andygrif is offline   Reply With Quote