View Single Post
Old 20-09-2017, 20:31   #140
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Brexit discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramrod View Post
It does matter because people are running around getting their panties in a twist because they think that Boris said that we would give the NHS £350 million. He didn't say that.
They can do whatever turns them on and complain about whatever they wish.

What matters is he was pulled up for misusing official statistics a full year and more after the campaign he fronted was pulled up for the exact same thing with the exact same statistic.

---------- Post added at 20:17 ---------- Previous post was at 20:15 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osem View Post
Quite and it's hardly surprising that anti-Brexit portions of the media including the BBC should choose to present it so. They rarely occupy themselves with what's going wrong in the EU or the latest one-sided nonsense Juncker spouts. They seize on mostly manufactured speculation about sackings and resignations then exaggerate it as the PM's in trouble, how long can she last, has Boris blown it, will he mount a leadership campaign, blah blah blah. It's as pathetic as it is sad that the likes of the BBC should be scraping this barrel.
Ya.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-41331152
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-41251914
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-po...ments-41229031
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-40877721

---------- Post added at 20:22 ---------- Previous post was at 20:17 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
I do agree the Government appears to be making a pigs ear of it ATM but things may be in progress that we have no knowledge of. Only time will tell.
Indeed they may, though if the Government don't see fit to keep us informed we can only work on what we're aware of.

We can only go by what official committees say regarding customs IT systems that won't be able to handle WTO trade with the EU, or that zero preparation has been made to beef up customs on the ports that handle the most EU trade, or that the Irish PM doesn't see a way forward.

Going by the statements from various EU leaders and the EU apparatus itself it seems they aren't aware of these things that are in progress either, and given this is supposed to be a negotiation you'd hope they'd be aware of them.

Perhaps if the Government stopped treating us like mushrooms, keeping us in the dark and feeding us demagoguery, we'd all have a better idea how things are going.

Hopefully tomorrow will make things clearer for us. If it's another 'Brexit means Brexit, cake and eating it' speech it's a waste of time and the taxpayer's money sending her out there.

---------- Post added at 20:28 ---------- Previous post was at 20:22 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
That may be what the report says but not whet he actually said which was.

Quote:
Lots! I said before REF was dumb idea, other things shdve been tried 1st. In some possible branches of the future leaving will be an error
(my bold)

Source: The article you linked to.
Forgive me if my comprehension is lacking here, but isn't he saying, albeit in a verbose way, that in his opinion leaving could be an error?

He's saying it's possible it will be an error. That he said it could be an error is exactly the same, written differently.

In some possible branches of the future I will wake up tomorrow morning. So I could wake up tomorrow morning.

He didn't definitively say it wouldn't be an error, so he said it could be an error. In fact he quite explicitly said that it's possible it'll be an error, and he's absolutely right. It's also possible it'll be the correct move.

---------- Post added at 20:31 ---------- Previous post was at 20:28 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianch99 View Post
BTW, for some reason, the aforementioned Vote Leave Campaign Chief is now saying some very strange things:

Vote Leave Campaign Chief Dominic Cummings Admits Leaving The EU Could ‘Be An Error’

Not strange at all.

He's not a politician and his campaign is over, so he has no need to be a demagogue anymore, and he's an intelligent man that doesn't have an almost religious devotion to the UK leaving the EU, so he's happy to entertain that it could go wrong.

He is powered by a desire to upend the normal political order, not any particular visceral hatred of the EU, or personal ambition. His writing in general makes interesting reading. I don't agree with all of it but it's certainly interesting.