View Single Post
Old 20-09-2017, 13:06   #128
ianch99
cf.mega poster

ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array
ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array
Re: Brexit discussion

Putting the EU Haters to one side for the moment, I am guessing that most of the Leave voters wanted to leave the EU for reasons they would regard as in the best interests of the country as a whole.

Of course there are zealots who would leave at any cost and would be content to suffer personal financial loss if that is what is required ... the "Brexit Martyrs" that Vince Cable alluded to. The vast majority would differ from this position I suspect and would not be happy to see their standard of living & personal prosperity drop in the medium/long term post Brexit.

It is this likelihood, made more likely by the current bungling of the Article 50 process, that will, I feel, lead to a very bizarre electoral landscape in a couple of years time.

The Leavers that were promised a rosy EU-free future may well turn to Labour if they see their Brexit "ruined" by the Tories. Yes, they will be attempts to blame "Traitors", "Remoaners", etc. but most will see through this. Brexit could directly lead to a Corbyn government .. slightly ironic, right?

The Leave promise was put to the electorate with no planning, no time and no skill. So the chances of it playing out as hoped look smaller as the days go by. If time, skill and planning was put into Brexit before the vote, the outcome could and would have been very different.

"It will be fine, stop moaning" I hear .. Well, Faith & Belief will only take you so far. At some point you will have to face reality .. and the reality does not look too good at the moment.

So when there are reasoned arguments and articles illustrating why Brexit will be a net-negative in terms of national & personal prosperity, please don't just reply with platitudes, post reasoned arguments supported by evidence.