View Single Post
Old 20-09-2017, 00:12   #123
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
Re: Brexit discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignitionnet View Post
If this is indicative of the impact study DeExEU have done into 50+ sectors of the UK economy it's not hard to see why HMG don't want to release it.

Very, very few people now think that leaving the EU is a good thing fiscally for the country in the short or medium term, even moving to EEA/EFTA terms, even worse for WTO, obviously long term predictions are very fluid, and the economy is a massive influence on elections. A government pursuing policies that it, itself, thinks will weaken the economy is not a big vote winner.
If I was Theresa May, I would ban that report as it would give a very powerful argument to remain in the EU which in turn would give a very powerful argument not to vote Conservative at the next election.

Whilst I'm resigned to leaving the EU with its consequences of inflation, higher unemployment, less money to spend on areas like the Police, armed forces and NHS, I'm not sure that the rest of the country is.

Great excerpt on how the UKGovernment is not preparing for a no-deal scenario which from a negotiating viewpoint it makes sense to do.
Quote:
One of the strongest arguments for the idea that the government should have waited before triggering Article 50 is that it could have used the extra time to do work on what a new customs or immigration system should look like, for example, and work out answers to dull questions like "what land will we need to house new facilities?".
We are where we are, though. And the big point is this: ministers keep talking about being ready to take "No Deal". I keep hearing about the terrifying No Deal memos emerging in Whitehall. Ministers keep denying that the problems they cannot avoid - like those aviation treaties or the potential delays in French ports - are putting them off from countenancing such an outcome.
But, at the same time, our government is not behaving like it is really preparing for No Deal - and the EU27 can surely see it. Unless the government starts allocating resources to prepare for the parts of a clean exit in 2019 that it can control, no-one will seriously believe they're considering it. It makes a transition of some kind - on whatever terms it is offered - much more likely.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-41271028

Last edited by 1andrew1; 19-09-2017 at 23:41.