View Single Post
Old 09-08-2008, 16:21   #24
icsys
Inactive

Services: Virgin - BB,TV,Phone Sky box - with no sub Freeview - idtv
icsys is just really niceicsys is just really niceicsys is just really niceicsys is just really niceicsys is just really niceicsys is just really nice
Re: Ebay Adchoice - Another Profiling System?

I've got to admit I have been slow on the uptake on this one.
I don't use eBay that often!

I note from ElReg the following:

From 13 July, new users, will be served "relevant" ads. The service is opt-out - if you don't like it you must change your eBay account preferences.
Existing eBay users should already have received an email warning them of the changes, which will come in from from 13 August.

Having now just 'opted-out' hopefully, as an existing user, I have escaped any profiling.

On the subject of AdChoice, eBay had this to say:

"AdChoice provides a more personalised and relevant shopping experience for our users, it is based on your previous searches and items bought. Participation in this programme is entirely optional and does not involve disclosure of personal information to any third parties. You can change your advertising preferences in My eBay at any time.

eBay views the protection of our users' privacy as an extremely important principle and we do not disclose personal information to third parties for marketing purposes without a user’s explicit consent. In the revised Privacy Policy, you'll see a new Marketing section that describes in more detail our collection and use of information for these and all our marketing programmes.”

From the following extract from the eBay 'AdChoice' page it is easy to see how this can be likened to Phorm:
Quote:
You have choices about whether we use your information in this way. You can tell us not to share any of your anonymous information with our ad network partners and you can tell us not to use your information to show you relevant eBay ads on other websites. Anywhere you see the advertising link, you can click on it to control how your information is used. If you opt out of AdChoice, you'll still see ads, they just won't be tailored to your interests.
icsys is offline   Reply With Quote