Thread: Darts If you love the darts...
View Single Post
Old 29-12-2023, 15:02   #21
Rillington
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media, DAB
Rillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation era
Re: If you love the darts...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post

The crowd were as bad as I’ve ever seen it during the Cross match yesterday. Tedious, pointless chants and almost nobody watching the darts.
For the past decade or so, the PDC has marketed darts as a night out at the darts rather than as a sporting event. Consequently, the behaviour you describe is part and parcel of any PDC event.

This is now being trialled in snooker via the Shoot Out, where you get the same type of behaviour. Thankfully, snooker has resisted the urge to go down this route for any other tournaments.

---------- Post added at 15:02 ---------- Previous post was at 14:58 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDaddy View Post
That sketch poisoned darts imagine in the minds of the public for years in favour of snooker apparently, its possible I'm making that up but I'm sure I remember hearing it and it does kind of tie in with how popular snooker became in the 80's
It did, and it can be argued that that single sketch paved the way what came next - ITV getting out of the sport altogether in 1988 and the BBC doing the same, with the sole exception of the World Championship. This resulted in a dramatic loss of profile and income for the payers who had turned professional and resulted in the split in darts in 1993 and the formation of the WDC, which became the PDC and the product we have today.
Rillington is offline   Reply With Quote