View Single Post
Old 14-04-2012, 09:33   #7
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
Re: Confusion over internet speeds,etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughesdecorator View Post
Many thanksfor all that , very well explained.
Is it better then to disable the wi-fi part on the desk top and just to rely on the wired connection
Downloading an audio book i seem to get around 200 kb/sec? is that right.
ish. 200k/sec = 1.6mbits which is nowhere near your max speed. But like I said, it depends on the speed you are getting from the server you are connecting to. If you imagine the server you are connecting to is on a gigabit line and you have got 10,000 people downloading a new mp3 or audiobook or something, each user is only going to 100kbits each = 12.5k/sec download speed. I can download at 12mb/sec on my connection (and I get that speed most of the time for what I download) but when I download games off Steam I never get more than 3-4mb/sec. In my case it is 25% of my speed (so I can still download whatever else I want and do whatever I want) but in your case it would max out your connection for you.

You wont always get your full speed on everything you try and do. If you tried to download a couple of audio books at the same time you would probably find you would get 200k + 200k + 200k. The whole point of connections these days is multitasking so you are downloading an audio book, streaming some youtube video videos while it is downloading, wife is chatting to friends on laptop and children are playing games or something.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote