View Single Post
Old 28-08-2008, 11:24   #4
arefem
Inactive

arefem is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Milton Keynes Cable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham M View Post
Some TVs just have a wider band of channels that they can scan, I believe that answers Point 1

I'd agree, but some of the channels are in the 38-45 area of the UHF band. I seem to think it relates to the actual frequency being used.

I suppose it's not really a problem, as some of the channels are on Freeview, just a bit niggling.

---------- Post added at 10:24 ---------- Previous post was at 10:10 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by m419 View Post
Nah, I reckon Virgin Media will upgrade this area even it means having no help from BT. This area has potential.

A better idea after when BT ditched its relations with Sky, BT could have acquired the Cable franchises, get rid of Cable Telephone services and just use BT's existing network. That way BT could offer:

Digital/Analogue Cable TV
Cable Broadband
IPTV-Eventually

And over BT's existing telephone network:

ADSL for out of Cable areas
Telephone service

It would have made sense in BT buying NTL,Telewest,Smallworld,Wight Cable and maybe taking over the defunct Aberdeen Cable network, then BT would have a fibre optic national network covering just over 40% of the UK which can be expanded over time. As BT is the UK's predominant provider, there fibre optic Cable network would also be open to other companies wishing to offer faster speeds and Digital TV like Tiscali.
The MK cable is already owned by BT. Legislation prevents them from being both a service carrier and content provider. The history is that when MK was built, way back in the late 60's, no TV aerials were allowed and all homes were to be ready cabled. Quite innovative for the era. We go the BBC and ITV channels (BBC1,2, ITV London, Anglia, and Central, and a local cable channel called Channel Five). Over time this changed and BT added Sky (later Sky1)and Galaxy (remember them?).

As the legislation changed to allow more cable operators to compete, and in order to give them the oportunity to compete in areas already cabled, BT were explicitly banned from both owning a cable and providing services on it.

BT decided to sell the MK cable, and asked some stupid price for it. Not surprisingly nobody wanted to buy, so the were forced into leasig it to NTL, who were absorbed into Virgin Media a few years ago. The agreement is that VM will maintain the metal bits and BT the fibre. Problems come up when the box joining the two is at fault, and there always seems to be a disagreement about who repairs the box.

BT don't want to upgrade to fibre, no profit in it for them; VM don't want to pay for the upgrade, too expensive. The upshot is more and more people are putting up Freview ariels (which are now allowed) or Sat dishes, and dropping the cable, which costs £36 per year for the basic package.

The MK cable is not growing either, there is no longer any requirement for new home to be pre-cabled, so no growth potential for VM.

Personally, I don't see there being many people on the cable by this areas Digital Switch Day in 2011.
arefem is offline   Reply With Quote