View Single Post
Old 21-12-2016, 14:56   #12
vincerooney
cf.mega poster

Services: XL TV XL Phone XL 100MB broadband TiVo Cat
vincerooney has reached the bronze age
vincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze age
Re: Broadband woes for many

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mythica View Post
I can never see it getting fixed fully. Even if it does get fixed then the next round of free speed updates (if there is any) will just mean more problems. I doubt it will help now the V6 uses your broadband rather than its own dedicated one. All the while they are still signing up new customers offering them 200Mb knowing they can't deliver it at peak times in some areas. I've had the argument on the community forums with staff and superusers, some Virgin Media customers are still on 152Mb waiting for the free speed upgrade to 200Mb. My area was originally planned for the free upgrade in December 2015 I believe. It now says December 2016 which isn't going to happen with Christmas and new year around the corner plus a "review" date of 5th of April 2017 for high utilisation in the area. The argument was they are bringing in new customers on 200Mb in my area but can only offer me 200Mb if I upgrade to 200Mb which could cost more yet they are adding to the problem by adding new customers.

To add insult to injury the official price for a V6 for 152Mb users is £99.95 simply because they aren't on 200Mb as they are still waiting for the free speed upgrade that was announced late 2015 and it's now nearly 2017. To get the price of £49.95 you are told (unless you phone and complain but not sure how far that would get you) to upgrade to 200Mb which not only costs more but you'll be unable to reach those speeds at peak times because of high utilisation in the area which is the reason why your not on 200Mb in the first place as they won't give you the free upgrade as the network isn't ready unless you're willing to part with your money.

Part of the above affects me while some of it does not. When the V6 was officially launched I phoned up and went from the old style VIP to the new style VIP which takes us to 200Mb and saved us money. But there will certainly be other users out there that this will affect and it's just an endless circle of dates and arguments.
My word i completely am in the same boat as you! Thank heavens its not just me.

High utilisation in my area. Ongoing 3 and a half years. Review date now february.

I'm on 152Mbps currently. My "free speed upgrade" is due between december 2016 and december 2016. Again i cannot see this at all happening.

I was told i could not get a v6 on the cheaper price as im not on the vivid 200 package. I kept trying to explain the reason i'm not is you havent given me the free upgrade yet. They didnt really seem to understand my point!

We're basically being punished two fold:

1) for living in a popular area with too many customers (northern towns being hit the most as vm seem to only be fixing down south)
2) not being important enough to have the free upgrade yet. (so we need to pay more money as a result of being ignored for several years...to get a v6)

Last edited by vincerooney; 21-12-2016 at 15:00. Reason: .
vincerooney is offline   Reply With Quote