View Single Post
Old 01-04-2016, 15:36   #777
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: The future for linear TV channels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
You see, this is why your argument is mince. It's built on a pile of assumptions, despite the evidence being to the contrary. You have invited me to assume all my arguments are untrue and then deny your case. Pardon me but as arguments go that's pretty hare-brained.

And no, the BBC won't go subscription in 10 years. It's a mass-audience broadcaster and if the licence fee is withdrawn it will revert to advertising, exactly the same as the other state owned broadcaster (Channel 4), and the other two PSB operators (ITV and Channel 5). There is no commercial reason to lock a free-to-air channel network whose business model is based on mass audience penetration behind a paywall.
If the BBC goes subscription AND advertising, this will only hasten the demise of linear TV! You assume that subscription BBC will not happen even though the present Government is open to that idea and wants to abolish the licence fee. If you want to ignore the developments that are taking place, then hey, ho!

Chris, I have not stated that your arguments are untrue, indeed, you have made some excellent points. I am merely saying that these problems will be overcome. History tells us that, and the industry itself is relatively unperturbed. The energy issue is already 50% resolved.

I note that you did not answer my specific questions, which are the raisin d'etre of this whole thread.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote