View Single Post
Old 01-04-2016, 12:26   #776
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Re: The future for linear TV channels

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
If you are so tired (practically comatose by all accounts)that you cannot function sufficiently to make a choice, just press OK on the first thing that comes up! It's the main choice that is highlighted on Netflix, so the chances are you will at least be looking at something good (if you are conscious enough to follow it, of course!).
The thing is, whenever I fire up Netflix (and I do often watch Netflix), despite all my attempts to set it up so it knows exactly what I like, 9 times out of ten, what Netflix suggests for me is absolute crap. I have to dig around to find something I want to watch. I live with my sister and her other half. Most evenings, they spend over an hour looking on Netflix for something to watch, and don't find anything they both want to watch.

And yes, I have spent hours on the site detailing exactly what I like and what I don't.

Anyway, none of us know what the future holds. We may all abandon the linear channels, and stream everything. I don't think that will happen quickly (and by quickly, I mean in less than a few decades) purely because too much needs to be done to get UK broadband into a state where it's feasible to stream everything), but things can change. Twenty years ago, no one was considering streaming and, TBH, if anyone were to launch a streaming service, it was likely to be branded "Blockbuster Video", and presumably offer deals with their stores (money off in store if you stream sort of thing), the best quality version of the film would have been on DVD, and we would have been sure that any better quality successor to DVD would have been massively successful. Blu Ray succeeded DVD and less than ten years after release is already effectively being replaced. Blockbuster Video were destroyed by Lovefilm and Netflix.

Who's to say that Netflix won't go the same way? Who's to say that in ten years time, someone won't come along, offer something new and revolutionary, and destroy Netflix. You might argue that Netflix is too big for that to happen, after all they are probably Hollywood's largest investor, spending billions of dollars. In the 90s, Blockbuster spent billions of dollars a year investing in new films, and everyone thought they were to large to fail.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote