View Single Post
Old 01-04-2016, 11:02   #774
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: The future for linear TV channels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Breaking Bad was created and broadcast by a US TV network and was renewed four times (5 seasons total) on the basis of its ratings on that network. Its reach in the UK is unclear because Netflix don't release viewer statistics, beyond basic subscriber numbers.

"Heard of" and "watched" are two quite different concepts.

As for "what does broadcast TV have" well frankly OB this is getting tiresome. I've detailed the answer to that question several times already. It has ease of access and energy and bandwidth efficient delivery, for starters. I'm not going to expand on that any further; you have ignored each previous attempt to get you to see sense.
As far as the viewer is concerned, broadcast TV has no advantages over streaming services.

You have stated that there are issues relating to energy and bandwidth, but you seem to think that these problems cannot be resolved, despite the fact that the industry are actively working on these problems to overcome them. Ways have already been found to mitigate some of the problem and frankly it is inconceivable that the remainder will not be sorted out over the next few years. If the bulk of your argument is based on this and you are holding to it, what can I do but advise you to 'watch this space'. Mankind has had to deal with bigger problems!

In terms of the viewer experience, you cite 'ease of access'. However, as TV boxes become more user friendly, it will become just as easy to access the streaming service you want as it is to access the EPG. The time lag to get into the streaming service now (particularly appalling on the current version of Tivo) will be eradicated, so that one press of the button will get you the EPG, the Netflix menu, the BBC i-Player menu or whatever without delay, from which you choose your programme.

If you are so tired (practically comatose by all accounts)that you cannot function sufficiently to make a choice, just press OK on the first thing that comes up! It's the main choice that is highlighted on Netflix, so the chances are you will at least be looking at something good (if you are conscious enough to follow it, of course!).

All the figures show that SVOD is attracting a bigger and bigger audience. My only question to you is, assuming that this trend continues and the energy and bandwidth issues are overcome, how long will the broadcast channels be able to survive with diminishing revenues from advertising? If they begin a fight back against the streaming services, how will this play out? What initiatives can the broadcast channels take?

Unless you have answers to those questions, and particularly if the licence fee becomes an optional subscription in about 10 years' time, then if as I strongly suspect, that the infrastructure issues are resolved, your argument that broadcast channels will survive forever is stuffed.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote