Thread: Nightmare
View Single Post
Old 20-04-2011, 22:08   #27
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week
Re: Nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeman View Post
I know its too late to help you but advise for the future (or anyone else whos experenced something simmilar). As soon as something like this happens (after doing the emergency repairs (ie stop the water pooring out) ) the FIRST thing you should do is contact your home insurance provider. Typically they will authorise any work thats needed fairly quickly (as there not going to bee paying there usually quick at this). Then they will claim the money back from the traidsman's insurance (though the courts if nessary), with the ONLY cost to you being the initial exess (which you can claim back once your insurance company has settled the claim with the sub-contractor).

Just like if you have a car accident thats not your fault. You dont goto the party at fault for your repairs, you contact YOUR insurance company who then chases up the "at fault" policy holder on your behalf.
good advice ,let the insurance company do the chasing they at least will have the clout to force contractors into action

---------- Post added at 22:08 ---------- Previous post was at 22:06 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by raybessant View Post
Hello,

I would have gone straight to my home insurer if Mapgroup (Virgin's contractor)had not convinced me that they would pay up front for repairs and given me an interim payment with the promise of the rest to follow - yes I made mistakes - but in good faith and boy have I learned my lesson.

Regards,

Ray
I think that's what most would do ,including myself if the contractor at fault had made such promises

hang in there