View Single Post
Old 09-02-2015, 15:02   #92
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: The future for linear TV channels

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry_hitch View Post
Many of us want more? Don't see too many people agree with you at the minute. Happy to be corrected though.

Yeah things could change, but I simply can not see why they will. I like the odd binge watch, but I more pleased by the fact Netflix are drip feeding Better Call Saul. However, I will be seriously hacked off if someone trots into work at 12 on a Tuesday and spoils an episode of the show simply because he saw it 8 am whilst I had no way of watching at work. If that happens often enough, and too many people complain, the times the show is aired will change quickly.

Also, please explain how ITV will fund themselves via on-demand programs with no adverts? Would you happy to pay for a new series of a show when the previous one was FTA? And whilst you are at it, what incentive have they got to show programs with no adverts in? What are they going to do, tell advertisers they don't need them anymore because no-one wants adverts?

It may happen, but in my eyes it's not gonna happen for a long, long, long, long, long time.
I'm glad you are happy with your lot, Harry. But you don't have to look far to realise that many people indeed want more. For example, why are so many trying to break out of the UK restrictions using 'Unblockus' and so on? Why are so many people wingeing about Virgin Media's inability to give us access to Sky Atlantic?

Yes, it can be annoying when you are watching a series and a friend or colleague blurts out what happens next, but surely that was the situation with 'Breaking Bad' on Netflix, wasn't it? Look how many people were into that and enjoyed it immensely.

And if the streaming companies decide to bring us new programmes on a week by week basis, there is nothing to stop them doing that by popular demand.

Funding is a separate issue. It is a matter for ITV and the like to find different income streams. This is the big issue in a lot of areas with sites on the internet (eg newspapers, etc). Examples of ways around it include subscriptions and sales to providers like Netflix and on demand providers like Virgin Media. Advertising on the sites themselves or as a precurser to the programme are other alternatives.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote