View Single Post
Old 18-09-2017, 11:56   #423
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

Services: Staff MyRates BB: VM XXL TV: VM XL Phone : VM XL
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
Re: Petrol & diesel vehicles ban (2040).

I can see driverless, electric cars in the large population centres but isn't there already public transport for that. So maybe in the suburbs, less populated areas, smaller cities/towns or if carrying something or other reasons to want a private conveyance. Maybe also between sites, regular journeys especially if journey does take in town/city centres.

But it will be those other journeys, those less regular, unplanned events away from populations. Maybe taking your small boat to a river/coast for a day sail then needing a secure store while you are out on the water. Going out on a mystery tour. Just going out and seeing what you can find, stopping for undetermined amount of time. Covering eventualities, what about if you day destination doesn't have mobile coverage, what if you go out to the mountains and the weather closes in (please wait 2 hours while we route a car to you...sorry roads are now impassible). You live on a farm, your wife's pregnant and something happens, now you need to get her to hospital, not ambulance quick but still don't want to wait long time for some company to route something out to you. Here's a real one for me, you go to archery, you have your bow and arrows with you. After the shoot you want to go to the pub, when you get there you don't want to take all your kit in with you. How do you work these into some car "share" scheme? And people won't want to pay the extra to have a car wait around for storage.

The real issues that need resolving mostly are around the large population centres, traffic levels, pollution, noise, parking/storage. Electric/driverless/share could work well in these places. You can't try to force the same model onto all situations. But most politicians live and work in large population centres so we will end up with ...?

One final issue is for some the pleasure of driving.