View Single Post
Old 05-10-2017, 10:05   #73
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Re: Las Vegas: Mass shooting in Mandalay Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
It seems like having mandatory, federal, background checks and registrations would at least help without preventing people from buying guns. I.E You have to obtain a licence, the licence is recorded at a federal level and requires a background check which searches any suspected link to terrorism, any violent criminal behaviour and any troublesome mental health issues. Each gun purchase is subsequently recorded against that licence and requires an additional waiting period. It would be illegal to sell or give a gun to someone with that licence and without the registration.

We do this, albeit without the background check, for people to drive cars so why not to own guns? I heard that people who are on no-fly lists can still buy semi-automatic rifles. That is a mental situation to be in. It highlights the power of the NRA that they've all lost quite a degree of freedom over the internet and air-travel arrangements but their freedom to amass a vast arsenal has increased since 9/11.
Maybe also a limit on the number of guns able to be held and a law to prevent owners selling their old weapons to anyone other than than a licensed dealer. On the news the other day I'm sure I heard that in some places it's possible to buy a gun legitimately according to the various state rules etc but then sell it on or give it to whoever you want. That just sounds bizarre.
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote