View Single Post
Old 10-01-2017, 16:33   #67
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
Re: Crisis in the NHS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
Well people do need to stop abusing A&E, but very often its because they can't get a GP appointment. Swings and roundabouts, plug one funding hole, another leaks.
We do need to have a serious discussion about how we fund the NHS and what services it provides, as costs are going to keep increasing. We're going to have to pay more whatever, each one of us, and we have to accept that. Half the problem is people say they are willing to pay more but when but comes to them personally paying, they look and vote another way

However I suspect the Government has a privatisation agenda on this. Not to worry as none of the cabinet would touch the NHS with a barge pole.
I heard a snatch of a programme on Radio 4 this lunchtime about the subject. The points that came across to me were:
* It's the worst crisis for 12 years. Normally the NHS catches up on itself over the Summer but it didn't so has gone into the Winter in a bad state.
* Scotland is coping relatively better because it has integrated social care with the NHS.
* Although funding has been increasing, demand has outpaced the growth in funding stretching services.

Ultimately, we need to fund the NHS more as we're all living longer. This could be through increased general taxation/NI or at the point of delivery. This is a big issue and I wonder if all political parties will come together on this?
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote