Thread: laptop wanted
View Single Post
Old 27-04-2012, 19:34   #7
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week
Re: laptop wanted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldo Pepper View Post
I bought a decent Compaq Presario CQ57 from PC World a few months ago for ~£320 brand new. It's a good laptop and sounds from what you asked upto the job. It was for using at work so I was on a limited budget and works fine.

PC World are quite competitive price wise these days and much easier to return to a shop than having to bother with mail order if there are problems.

If you do not require alot of disk space for movies etc, then anything in the 300Gbyte range should be fine.

If she is keen on one then don't rule out the smaller N series notebooks from Samsung. I have an NC-110 for home use (women like cute things and according to a friend it's certainly is cute). Cost £280 about 10 months ago, but is small enough to fit into my small shoulder bag and has 10 hours battery life and despite complaints of exagerated battery life on all laptops etc, it comes pretty close when just web browsing. A 1-2Gbyte memory upgrade for £11 from MrMemory made a hell of a difference. I have since replaced the HDD with a solid state drive which is amazingly fast, but currently these are quite expensive and mine was from my old laptop.
That Compaq is up for £299 at pc world now ,i did look at that as i have a compaq now and find them pretty much bomb proof ,my only issue is that the processor.....AMD Dual-Core E-300 (1.3 GHz, 1 MB L2 cache) doesn't seem very high powered for running 4+ gb ram how much of an issue that would actually be i don't know