Old 19-04-2011, 22:25   #14
Dan20
Inactive

Services: VIP50, Tivo, Virginmobile
Dan20 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Media Access Key

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyCambs View Post
Anybody tried the Tivo Desktop software?
Yes, I had a look at the basic free software before my original posting. It is set up to work with Tivo's in the US, Australia, Canada and New Zealand. Nothing doing for the UK.

In fact if the service is enabled this additional software is not required, it just gives an easier, richer interface. There is a web server inside the Tivo that you can in theory access via its IP address. If you get that far (I didn't) you can then put in your username, I think this is always Tivo and a password. The password is the media access key.

One thing I am not sure about is that in the US the Tivo is connected to your home network so it will be sitting in the same IP range as your local computers - you know, something like 192.168.1.10 say but for VM it is quite separate and does not touch the home network but picks up a wan type address so it is going to be intrinsically more difficult to connect though I see there is also an address of a DNS server. As I don't know much about networks I'm not sure what the technique will be to make the connection so that someting other than a 'not found' message is returned in the browser. Over to more knowledgeable folk...
Dan20 is offline   Reply With Quote