View Single Post
Old 01-05-2011, 18:35   #53
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
re: PSN back online after data breach. You must change passwords [see post 1]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysalis View Post
who thinks it will get breached again?
Hopefully not...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sony's press release
(snip)

...Since then, the company has implemented a variety of new security measures to provide greater protection of personal information. SNEI and its third-party experts have conducted extensive tests to verify the security strength of the PlayStation Network and Qriocity services...

(snip)

Working closely with several outside security firms, the company has implemented significant security measures to further detect unauthorized activity and provide consumers with greater protection of their personal information. The company is also creating the position of Chief Information Security Officer, directly reporting to Shinji Hasejima, Chief Information Officer of Sony Corporation, to add a new position of expertise in and accountability for customer data protection and supplement existing information security personnel. The new security measures implemented include, but are not limited to, the following:

• Added automated software monitoring and configuration management to help defend against new attacks
• Enhanced levels of data protection and encryption
• Enhanced ability to detect software intrusions within the network, unauthorized access and unusual activity patterns
• Implementation of additional firewalls

The company also expedited an already planned move of the system to a new data center in a different location that has been under construction and development for several months.

(snip)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sniper007 View Post
Does anyone know how I can find out if I ever entered my credit card details into the sony network? I can't remember if I ever did.
If you never actually purchased anything, then you'll just have to wait & check as Graham said.

However, credit card info should hopefully be OK. It was in the "probably not compromised but we'd better warn people anyway" category, unlike your name, address, DOB etc. (which was all in the "oops, that's all been taken" category). Sony said all Credit Card info was encrypted (& I think it may have been on a separate server), which from what I have read is a requirement of international payment card industry security standards.

And according to MSE:

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/new...stolen-in-hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneySavingExpert.com
Should I be worried about my card details?

Financial Fraud Action (FFA), which represents card firms, says Sony is due to pass it the details of all card numbers that may have been stolen, which FFA will then distribute to banks and building societies.

FFA says this is standard procedure after a hack.

It therefore says anyone who has entered their card number on the PlayStation network does not need to contact their provider as firms will cancel many cards automatically.

FFA adds in a statement: "Customers should keep a close eye on their account for any unusual activity – if they spot any they should contact their bank or card company.

"If anyone is the innocent victim of fraud they will get their money back from their bank or card company."

Sony is not certain that credit card details have been stolen but states on its website: "While there is no evidence credit card data was taken we cannot rule out the possibility.

"To be on the safe side we are advising your credit card number (excluding security code) and expiration date may also have been obtained."
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote