View Single Post
Old 13-01-2012, 22:13   #12
m419
Inactive

Services: BT Broadband,BT Anytime calls,Sky entertainment extra HD,Vodafone pay monthly
m419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quads
Re: Cable network map

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrIca View Post
Regarding the black (in our area) street cabinets. I do notice sometimes in areas say a mile from where cable is available that there is the odd black street cabinet with a NYNEX manhole in front of it. Are these for servicing the core network or something? I see them in places where cable is definitely not available. Here's one: http://g.co/maps/ked6b
Possibly, or Cable and Wireless/Nynex probably pulled out, they probably went over budget when building there network and decided to stop. I would have thought Cable and Wireless would have stopped expansion in areas deemed not to be commercially viable in there eyes, at the time, not only did they spend money on acquiring Cable firms, but they had to invest in upgrading the network to Digital, a year later(1998) Sky launched its Digital service and also at the time, they held a 50% stake in One2One now T-Mobile which was still growing at the time so I guess a lot of money went into that too.

Round here, Cable London pulled out of a council estate in 1999 because after when Telewest acquired the remaining 50% of the company I imagine they would rather invest the money on upgrading the existing network instead of expanding it.

Perhaps Virgin Media might use that in the future if it intends to cover your area.
m419 is offline   Reply With Quote