View Single Post
Old 18-03-2012, 09:58   #14
richard1960

Services: vm broadband tvxl TiVo, v+ sky sports and phone.
Re: Sunday trading laws to be suspended during Olympics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_ View Post
I have been a union rep in many businesses that have worked on Sunday and by virtue of the businesses involved the is no way around Sunday working, in fact many companies offer 5 out 7 or 4 on 4 off shifts which is the norm in this day and age as Sunday in many businesses is just a normal working day excluding retail which is the business in question are not affected by Sunday trading laws.

I have worked for Sainsbury's distribution and B&Q distribution and both worked the weekend because the stores still required stock to be delivered, in my new position the will be the occasional Sunday shift required but that is the way of the world and unions accept this as normal.
Do the unions accept it peter , i have just been on the shopworkers union site USDAW this is what they had to say about sunday trading laws.

The shopworkers Union Usdaw has welcomed today's announcement by the Government that they are to leave the laws covering Sunday trading in England and Wales unchanged and will seek to simplify the legislation dealing with age-restricted sales.

1. A survey of over 10,000 Usdaw members completed in April this year found that:

91% opposed large shops being able to open all hours on a Sunday

95% thought the current ban on large shops opening on Christmas Day and Easter Sunday should continue.

2. A Gfk/NOP survey carried out last year found that 89% of the public were opposed to any relaxation of the Sunday Trading laws.

It would seem many unions are concerned workers might be co-erced into working ie have pressure put upon them. USDAW seem very unkeen on any relaxation.