View Single Post
Old 15-07-2019, 20:01   #10
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Re: Alan Turing becomes the new face of the £50 note

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobes View Post
Shame it’s the £50 but I’m glad to see this nevertheless! He was a brilliant mind. Often thought how the UK would have benefited from his genius if he had been allowed to live. Disgrace what he was went through!He helped shorten WW2 by at least 2 years and then he was hounded to his grave!
Totally agree.

---------- Post added at 20:01 ---------- Previous post was at 19:55 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
I’ve never had a problem with them - I get quite a few as overseas guests staying in my B&B often get them from bureaux de change. If I spend them rather than bank them, they go in the supermarket or at a petrol station. Anywhere they’re most, or part of, the overall value of the sale. However I think trying to pass them in exchange for a pint of milk and £49 change would be taking the mick.
Many years ago, there was a spate of forged £50 notes in circulation. The people doing it would try to legitimise their money by using them to pay for an item and receive legal currency in return. It was less easy for staff to distinguish between an authentic note and a forgery, as they seldom saw a £50 note (this was in the days before anti counterfeit equipment was widely available).

As this led to businesses losing £50 a time for the sake of a small sale, many decided to stop accepting them and it seems that this attitude is still prevalent today.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote