View Single Post
Old 23-07-2008, 14:35   #6
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Re: Freesat versus Virgin V+

Quote:
Originally Posted by STONEISLAND View Post
I cannot help but think I’m paying way over the odds every month just to have HD telly with V+ when I will be able to get it FREE when this new box comes out.
V+ and SkyHD will have to make there services far more attractive and competitive once this box comes out.
Some very high-up people in the BBC agree with you. One of the reasons Freesat finally got the go-ahead, after years of it 'coming soon', was when they were finally sick of Virgin and Sky using BBC services to upsell their customers onto their own subscription-based HD products. That, and Ofcom's dismal, scandalous failure to guarantee there will ever be sufficient spectrum to broadcast a meaningful, terrestrial HD service in the UK.

BBC services are meant to be free, and while you could, technically, get BBC HD without subscribing to a Sky service (you could, and still can, by buying a free-to-air satellite receiver that's not even Freesat approved or branded), in the absence of any clear consumer branding or marketing it was effectively unavailable to the vast majority of TV viewing households in the UK.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote