View Single Post
Old 09-08-2014, 23:08   #3
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
Re: DNS Error on 1 Specific website

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanny View Post
Also if i leave my DNS setting as above does this make any difference to security/firewall etc & surfing the internet?

Thanks
none whatsoever unless you tell your firewall to block those specific ip addresses. I personally haven't heard of that website before but if it is one of those torrent sites that VM deem to be dodgy they might be in the middle of doing something to block it. I have coincidentally tried going to quite a few sites this week and VM blocking page popped up. This is different from DNS but I read that they either remove and alter dns entries to prevent people from getting to the site as well.

Anyways, this is one of those times when I get to day the following: you save yourself oodles of hassle if you a) buy yourself a proper router and b) use either google's dns servers or opendns'

Incidentally, the page loads fine for me as well but that is because I also use google's dns servers.

As an fyi, when you type an address in the address bar in your browser your pc fires off a dns lookup request to whatever server you have specified as your dns server. Your dns servers have been set by dhcp and all you have done is tell your pc to go to a different server; instead of VM's you are using google's. The request has still got to out either way. As an example, it is like you saying you need to ring directory enquiries for a phone number, but instead of ringing 118118, you want to ring 118500 instead. Your firewall is configured to allow dns requests through because they go through on port 53 and if you have a look in your firewall exceptions port 53 will be open. As far as web browing goes, the only impact it will have is that your overall browsing experience over a longer period of time should be more pleasant because when stuff like this happens (or VM's dns servers go down like they did recently for a whole weekend) you won't notice it because you will be using google's which are far more fault tolerant.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote