View Single Post
Old 29-01-2011, 17:52   #3
Cambridge Paul
Inactive

Cambridge Paul is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Bitten by historic wiring

Thanks — I'm pretty up together with conventional 'phone wiring. Maybe I should have added
The master socket also has the two wires connected to A and B from the waterproof external wire.
There are only two wires available over some parts of the setup. The other two are being used by the next door property's system! I checked this by voltage testing to find 50V across two pairs, Blue/Orange and Brown/Green. When I unplugged next-door's master socket this second potential dropped. This must have been from the GPO days when all the wire belonged to the GPO and from when it was one big house. At the present both properties, like mine, use Virgin, but this could change.
Thanks for reinforcing my doubts about a multiplicity of masters. This was done to save having the third, ringer, wire. The only problem I can see is stripping out this property's side of the shared wiring will cut of part of the other property's system.
I will encourage both people to look at a total re-cable, along with an ethernet system at the same time. Wireless gets "interesting" with 9 overlapping WLANs!
As a matter of interest my neighbour only moved to Virgin 18 months ago, and the guy joined up his home 'phones. Presumably he did the minimum.
Again thanks for the advice.
Paul
Cambridge Paul is offline   Reply With Quote