View Single Post
Old 17-11-2011, 14:17   #5
RB2004
Inactive

Services: Services: 200 Mbit Gamer on Hub 3, 3x Arris V6 Boxes, CISCO V HD, VIP Package
RB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation era
Re: Moving HD box to different room

Quote:
Originally Posted by jreynolds View Post
Thanks very much for the responses, much appreciated!

I don't really fancy paying £99 just to have the box moved upstairs - that seems pretty over the top, but then again I wouldn't want to mess up my signal either as the cable will need to be quite long (not sure how long exactly).

If I were to use the equipment you mentioned RB2004 would that go some way to countering any potential loss in the signal due to the cable length?

And would I be breaking any of Virgin's T&Cs by moving the box in the first place?

Thanks again!
Hi,

my advice first is, check your signal levels roughly yourself.

do you have a V+ box? or a VHD box?
and if you have broadband you can also check your signal levels on the modem if it isnt one of the surfboard ones.

Ive PM'd you a website link on where and how to do it.

if your signal levels are within the optimal or accept range you shouldnt really have too many problems.. to be honest? yes you loose signal over a length of cable, the longer it is the more you loose.

but, within a house it is so negligable that it makes hardly no difference at all,

I have a superhub in a cuboard under the stairs, 2x V+ boxes and a VHD box in the 3 bedrooms, and a TiVo downstairs in the lounge.. and the signal levels on each device are roughly the same, even on 1 run which is 15m.

If it does cause your services to go wrong extending a cable, then chances are your signal was borderline in the first place, which in most cases shouldnt occur if an engineer does their job properly... and it really usually is engineer not doing their job properly.. I can demonstrate that with my recent problems.

jist of it was, ongoing signal problems for 6 years.. fobbed off with excuses i wrote in previous post.. in the end after 3 engineers in a month, networks was actually brought down.. they acknowledged a problem that nobody else had in 6 years.. fixed it, signal levels jumped from -7 to 0 dBmV.. I then removed a splitter inside the house and installed new cable from superhub direct to omni box outside.. signal increased another 2 dBmV which was ideal.. but due to having 5 devices it meant adding a further splitter in the omni which degraded the signal.. so in the end I got a HDU myself, installed it... and now my superhub has a signal level of 2dBmV with a 6dBmV attenuator.. and my other boxes have a perfect signal level of -2dBmV with a 3dBmV attenuator which is slap bang in the middle of the optimal range now.

So.. for something engineers said was impossible to fix, a pretty good jump from -7 dBmV to +8dBmV (without attenuators) roughly its an increase from the bottom end of the range.. to the very top end of the range... so signal issues are always resolvable despite what engineers try to fob you off with.. I know its a bit off topic, but my point is, if properly installed signal levels should not be borderline! therefore any changes should not cause failure of services if done properly, through signal loss.

the HD100 Webro cable can be found on eBay here,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_fr...All-Categories

in various lengths depending on what you need.

Should also be noted this is the only cable that exceeds the specification of VM cable, everything else is generally below the VM spec, but this stuff exceeds it, and probably looses less signal than VM stuff.

Reason is, its tri shielded copper cable, VMs is tri shielded alluminium cable... but most digital coax you buy is only dual shielded.

These are the latest connectors VM are using, PPC EX6 NT+

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/50-x-PPC-E...item2a15ea57a6

they have a funny serrated edge on the nut, which the previous ones didnt... its an improved connector.

regards to legality and terms and conditions.

Simple answer is, Yes it is against terms and conditions to tamper with any part of the VM installation.

Reason being, if alterations are done improperly, it can cause a degradation of your service, and introduce noise onto the network which can effect your neighbours service.

But if done properly, with no adverse effects theres no problem with altering it, in fact even occasionally on the VM community forums you see VM staff even advising customers to get an extension cable.

Is important though to use the proper cable and connectors though, because if you dont, and a fault occurs VM can blame it on your changes and hold you liable.

In short though, lots of people alter these cables.. a lot of people using improper connectors and lower spec cable and get away with it... ive rewired all of my boxes even, to a better standard than originally installed lol.

so choice is down to you.
RB2004 is offline   Reply With Quote