View Single Post
Old 11-11-2017, 04:14   #44
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Re: More VM Jobs could be lost to the Philippines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushan View Post
I kind of feel like this discussion has gone way, way past what Virgin does and is now much more about dealing with automation in future - which is something well beyond Virgin.
Well, VM have started automation already. When I recently rang them with a fault the system took my details, took me through security and then checked my services.

When it found a problem it said that it was sending some sort of signal down to try to rectify it and that I should call back after 10 minutes if the fault hadn't been rectified. Not once did I speak to a human being.

I'm sure that VM aren't alone in seeking to cut costs with automation where possible, supplemented by cheap foreign labour when human intervention is needed.

Then we have all this tax avoidance on top.

If something isn't done to deal with this I cannot see how we can continue to function as a society.

I'm glad that I'm gearing up towards retirement, it's the younger people that I feel sorry for and for selfish reasons I hope that things can carry on for a bit longer before my life expectancy is up.
RichardCoulter is online now   Reply With Quote