View Single Post
Old 26-04-2017, 00:38   #1
Onramp
Inactive

Onramp will become famous soon enoughOnramp will become famous soon enoughOnramp will become famous soon enough
[Speculation] Would Sky buy CityFibre / Hyperoptic / Gigaclear?

Since fibre/cable has a far greater point to point bandwidth than satellite, and since Sky are launching their dish-free TV system in 2018 here, already having done so recently in Italy where they have paired up with a national fibre telecoms company, I wonder whether it would make sense for Sky migrate to additionally providing services to the home via a fixed fibre network of their own in the UK, offering a full quad-play ultrafast service with IPTV and OTT on-demand available in connected areas. It's natural that they're going to want to be able to provide quad-play services and more on-demand content in the future, not limiting themselves to just a huge fat-pipe of tv channels over satellite - especially since that medium becomes less and less how people spend their time.

In terms of who they'd go for, as far as I know, CityFibre are involved in a lot more than just home and business connections - since they provide peering and datacentre connections into various cities and towns, so maybe they're not the ones to go for - but possibly Hyperoptic or Gigaclear, being access networks, would lend themselves to being in a good position for interest from Sky.

This is just speculation on my part. What do you think?
Onramp is offline   Reply With Quote