Thread: General Local TV
View Single Post
Old 25-07-2014, 17:18   #64
andy_m
cf.mega poster

Services: VIP
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array
Re: Local TV

I have to say I think it's a shame, and I agree with the article - they've certainly tried to make it work. It's actually not a bad channel, certainly compared to some of those with national licences, and I'm not convinced by the public apathy argument. What I would say is that, for a multitude of reasons, London does not, to me, have the community feel that other parts of the country appear to enjoy. Rather, it is a mix of communities living side by side, and that mix is deepening. I'm not sure how you cater for that.

I have a feeling that the experiment will be more successful elsewhere, but it also feels like something that probably came 20 or 30 years too late. Competing with multi-channel tv packages and an increasing shift towards time-shift viewing and streaming services was always going to be difficult.