View Single Post
Old 01-10-2017, 09:35   #509
ianch99
cf.mega poster

ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array
ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array
Re: Government & Post Election Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
The policies they seem to have revealed today are ridiculous. 'Freezing' student loans at £9000 is not going to appease those who think it's too high, instead of a radical house building program they're going to extend help to buy which will only make houses more expensive.
I think this does show how out of touch the Tories are at the moment. Freezing student loans is a bit of a joke when they should never have been at the level they are now.

Also, what they don't discuss is the interest rate at which they are charging students:

https://www.theguardian.com/money/20...flation-brexit

Quote:
At the moment, new starters and current students are charged 4.6% – the March 2016 RPI figure of 1.6%, plus 3% – on their loans. But from September this will rise to 6.1%, made up of the March 2017 figure of 3.1%, plus 3%.

As a result current students and a sizeable number of graduates will see the interest rate on their student loan jump to more than 24 times the official Bank of England base rate.
They have basically lost the young vote as I see it.

They encourage the young to go to University, make them pay a price totally unrelated to delivery cost that is controlled by what is, in effect, a cartel. Then when they graduate, they then face the realistic prospect of a minimum wage job together with a massive personal debt going up at an unreasonable interest rate.

Oh, did I forget the bit where they cannot afford to get on the housing ladder like we were able to do ..