View Single Post
Old 14-12-2010, 02:38   #1
AndyCalling
Inactive

Services: Fixed phone service (inclusive weekend calls) & internet service (200/12meg)
AndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud of
Superhub + WGR614v9 as wireless access point = N+G at full speed?

I'm soon to get a new Superhub. I hear they can do N300 speeds and even 5ghz mode, but not 5ghz at the same time as 2.5ghz. I have a printer/scanner on 54g so I need to think creatively. How about this?

I connect my old WGR614v9 (with standard Netgear firmware) as a wireless access point to the Superhub. Could I then run the Superhub at 5ghz draft N 300 only, dodging all clashes, and run the WGR614v9 at 54G to connect my printer/scanner to the lan, allowing computers linked to the Superhub (wired and wireless) to access the printer/scanner (albeit at 54G speeds) whilst making no compromises with my full-cream draft-N network?

The only problem I can see is annoying the neighbours, but I don't think there are any networks close enough for concern. This could allow both 5ghz operation and dodge the issue of mixed mode performance loss at the same time, I think?

Would it work? Oh, and would I have to have adifferent SSID on each router? Would this also be the case if I ran the N router in 2.5ghz mode (just so I understand things properly) or are N and G duplicate SSIDs only able to exist if they use different bands?

I need to learn from someone who knows. Thanks boffins!
AndyCalling is offline   Reply With Quote