View Single Post
Old 21-02-2012, 21:54   #37
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Re: Drought summit as rivers in England dry up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ View Post
.....and again, which is why I have not said I agree with England (or whoever) paying for it
Actually you did - you said "England" should pay the processing costs. And I pointed out that the WA administration could not find any lawful way of imposing any charge - even an at-cost charge - on the basis that the water was crossing a national border within the UK.

"England" could not be made to pay anything to Wales. The only payments that would need to be made would be between the company operating the reservoir and the consumers drinking the water. Whether the company or the consumers were English or Welsh would be entirely irrelevant.

The whole reason the debate was framed in these terms on the radio this lunchtime was of course because the Plaidos have an interest in creating an impression of difference between England and Wales. But outside of nationalist fantasy politics there is simply no legal framework that would allow any such arrangement to develop.

---------- Post added at 20:54 ---------- Previous post was at 20:52 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ View Post
None have - and my point is it's extremely unlikely to ever happen.
The point is entirely moot. The rainfall and the topography to capture and store it is located in Wales, and the large population centres are located in England.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote