View Single Post
Old 26-10-2009, 19:32   #1
AndyCalling
Inactive

Services: Fixed phone service (inclusive weekend calls) & internet service (200/12meg)
AndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud of
Cool Windows 7 TCP/IP tweaks - Tune your internet connection

As you will be aware, DrTCP and other recommended tweak programs are only for WinXP and below. I have previously posted my tweaks for Vista, now here's my tweaks for Windows 7 retail.

First, check out your connection using the following link to make sure there are no problems (you may have to modify my settings if you can't get past all these tests, if you can't resolve the problem):

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/usi...d/default.mspx

If all is OK, next make a batch file in Notepad from the following by cut & pasting. Call it something like 'TCPIPSet.cmd' making sure you get the extention right:

Quote:
@echo off
echo Setting TCP/IP flags...
echo -----------------------
echo This only succeeds when run as an administrator,
echo when run as a user it only shows the current settings.
echo.
pause
echo.
netsh int tcp set global rss=enabled
netsh int tcp set global chimney=automatic
netsh int tcp set global netdma=enabled
netsh int tcp set global dca=enabled
netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=normal
netsh int tcp set global congestionprovider=ctcp
netsh int tcp set global ecncapability=enabled
netsh int tcp set global timestamps=disabled
pause
cls
echo Current settings:
echo -----------------
netsh int tcp show global
pause
If you run it normally, it'll just tell you what your current settings are. If you right click on it and run it as administrator it'll set the settings to the best for most standard home internet connections (such as ADSL and Cable in the UK). This is not recommended for exotic connections like satelite or G3, you should research your connection details and the TCP/IP options if you are dealing with the like.

This should give you the best speeds your connection will allow. Use it to check your settings from time to time to make sure nothing's knocked them out of whack.
AndyCalling is offline   Reply With Quote