View Single Post
Old 21-10-2017, 00:32   #3109
jj20x

Re: Coming Soon to Virgin Media TV (2017)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
For completeness, this is what was actually said about upgrading the BBC regions to HD and the possible use of the internet as a solution:
Quote:
Alternatively we might find a way for audiences to move more conveniently between HD and SD. We will address this problem one way or the other, but we don’t want to take money away from other BBC services if we can possibly avoid it.
The "alternative" is the problem, how to trigger a change of channel from a regional HD channel to a local SD channel.

Being regional, the HD channel data won't be aware of the correct local SD channel. On Freeview, BBC Red Button channel 250 attempts to switch to BBC 1 SD when the red button is pressed on that channel. It does that by searching through a list of BBC 1 SD SID numbers and switches the tv to the first matching entry found in the list of channels stored on the tv. Where the tv has stored services from multiple transmitter sites, the chances are that the channel selected won't be the correct local channel for the viewer. If BBC One HD sends a signal to initiate that sort of switch when regional content is shown, it would certainly remove the need to manually change channel, at least as far as DTT is concerned. The trouble is, many viewers would find that they had been switched to the news report for an adjacent region, or even be faced with a "no signal" message if reception for the auto-selected region is poor.

---------- Post added at 00:18 ---------- Previous post was at 00:18 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aguero9320 View Post
How do I go about finding hidden and scanning channels on a TiVo or a V HD box as I have both.
Ummm... you don't.

---------- Post added at 00:20 ---------- Previous post was at 00:18 ----------

Quote:
Apparently, Spike is to be rebranded as 5Spike.
If Channel 5 promotional material is to believed. I suppose it is fair enough in terms of branding and marketing but I think "Spike" sounds better.

---------- Post added at 00:26 ---------- Previous post was at 00:20 ----------

Quote:
Maybe the huge amount of apps that Cindy Rose promised are about to arrive? Are apps added and 'broadcast' in the same way as linear TV channels? I'd have thought that they wouldn't be and that they just prompted the TiVo to connect to the internet and take an online feed instead, but you'll know better than me.
Apps don't have to be added to the DVB SI tables at all. There could be well be a huge amount of apps coming soon, without any link to the EPG. Don't hold your breath though.

---------- Post added at 00:32 ---------- Previous post was at 00:26 ----------

Quote:
Think I'll give the film about a man who married a tree a miss though . These foreign channels do show some odd things!
Reminds me of a Belgian guy I once knew who named himself after a tree and wanted to have several wives. Although I don't think he actually wanted his many wives to be trees.

Last edited by jj20x; 21-10-2017 at 01:07.