View Single Post
Old 20-10-2017, 22:13   #3106
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Red face Re: Coming Soon to Virgin Media TV (2017)

Cheers SP, I think I'll go in and delete the ones after the freeview ends.

---------- Post added at 21:13 ---------- Previous post was at 20:14 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
I didn't go to bed in the end as my head was hurting, so put the TV on. At exactly 6am all TV & BB went down. I tried a reboot, but it came up with a channels loading bar that stuck at 16%. Probably cos the BB was down; the V6 must need the internet to populate the EPG.

I rang VM to tell them about it, press 1, press, 2 etc and entered my password. Only at that point did it tell me they were closed until 8am grrrrrr. It was at that point that I really decided that it was time for bed

One thing that makes me doubt my own theory is why all the coded names? BBC local radio is hardly earth shattering . Maybe they are to follow Sky and use codes all the time to frustrate the likes of us!

Also, ViLoR isn't infallible:

https://radiotoday.co.uk/2017/09/eig...s-fall-silent/

[/COLOR]

Sorry, I said the Tune-In app earlier, it's actually the Radioline app as you say.

All the national stations are also available in the app, as well as on the EPG.

Being on the EPG would enable us to record, set series links, set reminders etc.

Good thinking John and maybe this is why the services are being added piecemeal.

There are currently 15 local BBC1's (the three Nations are already HD) and BBC2 Scotland (the only difference is the last 20 minutes of Newsnight)

This makes a total of 16!

Only the other week, the Points Of View programme answered a viewers question about the time being taken to roll out the regional variations in HD. They said that budgetary constraints had led to them having to use "imaginative ways" to carry out the task.

Maybe they meant that it will be delivered over the internet??

The use of codes may be that they want to keep it secret before making a formal announcement for all platforms.
For completeness, this is what was actually said about upgrading the BBC regions to HD and the possible use of the internet as a solution:

Quote:
Viewers in Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales who watch the BBC One HD channel get everything in glorious HD. But when it comes to their local news, viewers in England are confronted with a red holding screen and instruction to switch to BBC One Standard Definition.
So why are the English regions the poor cousins to the nations when it comes to high-definition?

BBC STATEMENT

"This is a really tricky issue for the BBC. We obviously want to give our audiences the best possible experience and not having Regional news content on BBC One HD is a problem, given that our 6.30pm bulletins are the most watched news programmes in the UK. We know it doesn’t bother all of our audiences, but many viewers find it inconvenient to switch to BBC One SD and that bothers us.

The problem remains one of money. There are 15 regional versions of BBC One across England and the Channel Islands. Most of those 15 BBC One’s originate from Regional studios that are not yet fully HD and upgrading Regional news output is a priority for investment. To then take 15 BBC One’s to air in both HD and SD on all platforms would cost the equivalent of a third of the annual editorial budget for regional TV bulletins. So we have to balance our plans with the best interests of the licence fee payer and try to find creative solutions. And we mustn’t forget BBC Two viewers in the Nations also experience a similar issue.

In a world where two thirds of homes have their main TV connected to the internet, we could look to the internet to provide local content in HD. Alternatively we might find a way for audiences to move more conveniently between HD and SD. We will address this problem one way or the other, but we don’t want to take money away from other BBC services if we can possibly avoid it.

In the meantime, the vast majority of the BBC’s content is available free to air to audiences in HD across all platforms and directly over the internet on BBC iPlayer, which is generally included by default within internet-connectable TVs and set-top boxes and with the added benefits of live restart and 30 days to watch programmes as standard."

BBC Spokesperson