Thread: Booster
View Single Post
Old 06-03-2017, 20:40   #8
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
Re: Booster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hom3r View Post
Spend now save later.
exactly dude, I couldn't have said it better myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bampah View Post
I've now been upgraded to a shub3 but need to set up a repeater to use in another room to provide access for an ethernet only device. Can I just plug in a cheap repeater and connect it via WPS?
I would have a look on Amazon or something and see what is available, google the product, go to the manufacturers page and download the manual and looking the setup instructions.

If that works then all is well and good but depending which room the other device is in and if there is a potential to add more devices in the future (e.g if it is a living room and has tv/sky/bluray player etc) it might be cheaper or the same price to run a patch cable under the carpet to the room and put a switch in instead.
Anyways, there is a good reason for Homer's wise words. There is another thread which we got in to last week where another user was complaining that his homeplugs weren't working with the shub and it isn't the first time it has happened. The fact of the matter is that isp supplied equipment is the basic cheap as chips stuff to get people up and running and sometimes it just doesn't cut it. There is a reason why £80, £100, £150, £200 and £300+ routers exist and that is because they are more stable, have greater performance, better wifi, more features etc and sometimes you need to take that leap. I have always purchased my own routers (you had to when bb first came out many years ago) and only a few weeks ago I bought myself a new Asus AC68U which is flipping brilliant and it set me back £150.
I am not saying that you need to make a huge investment like that to solve a minor problem but it might be worth considering in the future if you continue to increase the size of your network; the shub can only take so much. Pretty much any decent 3rd part router will be able to do what you need it to and as an example this Linksys EA6350 would be a great mid-range router for £70. It is an AC1200 router, it has got a usb3 port so you can use it as a media server or print server and the wan to lan throughput it something like 900mbits so it will definitely last you a while.
I honestly would have recommended that particular model for you regardless. I have been using Linksys routers for over 15 years and never had a single problem with them at all. Asus are excellent as well but a comparably model would be more around £100. Now the cynical mind would wonder why I am saying all this and the reason is because by pure coincidence I am selling my Linksys EA6300 (admins please don't tell me off ) From what I can tell the EA6350 is exactly the same apart from it has got external antennae. It is in mint condition and I have actually been using it for a similar purpose as you apart from I have been using it as a wireless access point on the other side of the house rather than for an ethernet connection. I just thought I would mention it and it is there if you would like to take a look. It is going to sell anyway but I would like it to go to a good home and know that somebody is going to benefit from it. £45 is a good price.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote