View Single Post
Old 16-03-2009, 00:28   #44
Danlows1
Inactive

Danlows1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Arrow Re: Free Criminal Record Check

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_ck View Post
hi i was just wanderin i got a five year reprimand when i was 16 for theft i was wanderin if after the 5 years is it cleared or will it still show up on crb checks???
I am an active PCSO in the Met and can say for traffic offences the general rule of thumb is they are wiped after 7 years after the sentance is spent.
Civil court judgements are not removed at all but should not affect your job applications except if you are trying to work with vunerable/ young people and have a custody judgement against you.
Magistrates court judgements should be kept for ten years, but shouldnt affect your applications either.
Crown court judgements follow that rule as well, with a few exeptions such as sex offences.

I think people are getting confused between the CRB check and the PNC check. The CRB check can be done by anyone, on anyone, as long as they have permission in the form of ID of the subject of the check. Spent convictions should not be displayed in the basic form.
PNC can only be checked by MoD staff, the Police and a few other agencies to a reduced degree, such as the DVLA.
If i call up on the radio for a name check (PNC), the operator has on their display the subjects last known address, bail conditions if any, if the subject is wanted on various types of warrant which i wont go into now, and most importantly (for me), any warning markers the subject has. These are basically a way of telling me quickly if im dealing with a axe wielding mentalist, or just someone who is a gang member.
If i ask for a PNC printout, however, what i get is a ream or so of paper detailing all the times the subject has been arrested, what for, and what the final results were.
I should note here that the final results are not the sentance, just what police action was taken.
Finally, i can ask for a court printout which gives me even more paper which has ALL of the subjects court results (even spent ones) on it.
The reason for the distinction between the last two is that the police force has no direct influence on the judicial system, so all the police do is gather the evidence and deliver it to the CPS who make the decision on behalf of the crown whether it would be in the public interest to charge them.
Contrary to popular belief (thanks, the bill!), the police have limited discretion, to decide if they should charge the subject. If the subject is arrested, the police only have 4 options, caution, final warning, charge or release them. In effect the CPS determines if there has been a crime.
If anyone wants to discuss this in more detail, pm me.