Thread: Ping Test
View Single Post
Old 03-04-2009, 09:42   #7
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Services: Vodafone/City Fibre Gigafast 900
roughbeast has reached the bronze age
roughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze age
Re: Ping Test

I too get very low pings at speedtest.net. ie. between 110ms and 180ms and I am on a 50mb connection!

However if I ping a variety of servers from the command prompt results are much better eg. for bbc.co.uk I get 9ms latency.

If you are not sure how to ping from the command prompt follow this:-

Go to START then ACCESSORIES. There you will find COMMAND PROMPT. When it's open type - ping BBC.co.uk . After a few seconds activity you will be given an upper, lower and average result.

Try this with your Russian TV server and a variety of others. Sometimes you need to type the www. sometimes not. I got an average of 16ms with simplyglobal.tv . With Wolfenstien - Enemy Territory Euro and USA games servers I get pings under 20ms.

Incidentally I find speedtest.net test servers very inconsistent for measuring up and download speeds. Within a single 24 hours I got results ranging from 59mb to 15mb download speeds at the London server. At this time 50 mb connections are unaffected by peak traffic issues. The problem is speedtest.net .
roughbeast is offline   Reply With Quote