Thread: TCP IP issue
View Single Post
Old 13-05-2006, 02:02   #51
popper
Inactive

popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array
popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array
Re: TCP IP issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by ophelia
I know I shouldn't double post, but I figured this deserved a *bumb* heh heh :P
Basically,NTL have finally caved in and admitted it's something they've done. When I moved house, ( 2 years ago) they didn't move my broadband over to my new address (they managed to move my phone service and tv fine though)and it was only a stroke of luck that the broadband worked at my new address, (albeit unstable) when they disconnected me, every time they reconnected my broadband they were connecting it at my previous address.
I've yet to have an apology or any recompense for the 2 weeks of downtime, the new NIC purchased, reformatting my harddrive,2 days off work to wait for engineers that never fixed anything etc etc etc.
I'm so unhappy with NTL, hopefully my broadband will be back on tonight, but even so, I will still switch ISPs on Monday.
Thanks everyone for your help :/ Even if it was an NTL fault all along.
did it come back on?.

its confusing to me that they could i assume see your STB MAC, check its setting and so on but didnt get it working, the tv part of the STB works ok i assume?.

the fact that they changed the STB and hence the MAC address for your account but again it didnt let you through, different mac so no ones put a 'do not allow' filter on that new one, so whats the score with NTL's billing system that it appears to auto-set 'do-not-allow' or whatever they use, against their wrong billing mistake.

the fact that your old address modem part of the stb was working until they cut you off sugests that you didnt move far and are within the same network segment, so its another case of 'ODD NTL ways'

i'd like to understand the NTL system so we readers can relay that info in the future if needs be, to save everyones effort later.

so you have broadband/TV/Phone from ntl, they make a mistake and the automatic system does what ?.

sets a master database as not allowed for this MAC, or STB, user account No. ,or whatever.

to properly clear that, an operator needs to ?
and then the sytem does what?
and so on, anyone know the details (generally)

---------- Post added at 02:02 ---------- Previous post was at 01:58 ----------
regarding the ntl database:
is a stand alone modem locked to a users address or the mac of that modem only?

is it the same procedure for the modem as an STB?
if the modem is blocked at any point, is ntl's only option to replace it or can/do they just look up the MAC and delete it from the not allowed list etc.

oohh for other readers interested that link above
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/sh...7&postcount=14
was just saying try this WinsockXPFix.exe
http://search.ntlworld.com/ntlworld/...ckXPFix.exe&cr=
popper is offline   Reply With Quote