View Single Post
Old 30-03-2005, 16:53   #15
goblin
Inactive

goblin is just really nicegoblin is just really nicegoblin is just really nicegoblin is just really nicegoblin is just really nicegoblin is just really nice
Re: Wireless Networking... help!

Thanks to everyone for their replies once again. Much appreciated

To:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffW
Any of the ones you listed will be fine although you'll get better wireless performance from pre N routers.
Can you please explain what a "Pre N router" is please?

Quote:
AFAIK there are no commodity routers that will do the QoS traffic control you want, to get this you'll need to pay a lot more. (like £250)
Ouch! And here was I thinking that a £100 for a router was expensive

Quote:
I've got a Belkin and it is stable enough for me.
Having read that Belkin provide "Lifetime Support" somewhere or other, I was inclined to go with them immediately on that basis alone. I have a feeling that I maybe needing them.

Quote:
Your biggest problem is likely to be the wireless range which generally is obscenely over stated.
In reality, if it will find me when I am sat between 20 and 30 feet away, all be it through one wall of 8 inches or so. I shall be happy.

One thing I haven't investigated however, is how I connect the desktop to the router? I have a Motorola Surfboard CM, which is presently connected to a NIC inside my desktop. Do I need to purchase any additional cables? Or is everything I need included in with the router?

Any hints?

Thanks again.
goblin is offline   Reply With Quote