View Single Post
Old 11-02-2005, 15:48   #19
SMHarman
Inactive

Services: Cablevision
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze
Re: Which modem router for me ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by domtheboy
Hi again chaps

Can any of you clarify something for me - my other half has been asking for some advice from one of her network engineers (she works for a telecoms company). They have recommended that we use a "switch" such as this one:

http://www.netgear.com/products/details/FS105.php

and this will be sufficient to sort out our network. Can anyone advise if this is correct or not ?
No it won't. This is just a switch. NTL only give you one IP address, a router will take this and share it between all the attached devices (using the magic of DCHP). The Routers suggested have a built in 4 port switch.

Now if you end up with more than 4 PCs at home, you will buy one of those and connect it to your router and connect the next 4 PCs to it. and so on until you get to 253 when you need a bigger router and subnets and a network engineer.

Get the linksys.
SMHarman is offline   Reply With Quote