View Single Post
Old 09-04-2024, 21:33   #2755
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
Re: Russia has invaded Ukraine

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
Don't delude yourself that a deal with Russia solves anything. It just encourages Russia to re-group, shake off the West's sanctions before undertaking another invasion of Ukraine and potentially additional countries.
Does a deal with Russia solve more or less than perpetual war with Russia? Bear in mind while we pay higher gas bills Ukranians are paying in blood. To borrow a phrase it’s a bit of Sunday afternoon luxury belief that other people should fight a proxy war for us.

Considering the time and effort to get not very much in two years, and a proven ability for the west to just enough support Ukraine that they don’t capitulate the rationale for the “next time” being proposed is significantly weaker.

It’d be possible - although I’d not hold my breath if I were Zelensky - for the US or other allies to use peacetime to upskill Ukranian military personnel in western equipment (like F-16s) to leave Ukraine better equipped for such a future conflict than simply putting ever decreasing quality of conscripts into the meat grinder.

If Russia have further aspirations loosening of sanctions is irrelevant - it’d be unlikely that Russia would realign it’s economy back to partial dependence on the west only for it to have to pivot away again.

Last edited by jfman; 09-04-2024 at 21:37.
jfman is offline   Reply With Quote