View Single Post
Old 08-04-2024, 21:44   #2738
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
Re: Russia has invaded Ukraine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
I’m not suggesting capitulation, I’m suggesting a negotiated settlement.

Putin will not live forever, I think it would be unlikely he did anything after this. Call it a win (whatever the settlement) he leaves his legacy.

Do you think it’s better to carry on fighting with neither side looking likely to win?

Negotiated settlements after conflict and acquisition of territory is as old as time.
Ultimately a lot of effort into convincing Western populations to take in Ukrainian refugees, treble their gas bills and ship billions in aid to defeat Putin.

It’ll be quite the task for behavioural scientists to nudge them into coping with a negotiated outcome since they have an unprecedented level of emotional involvement in the success of Ukraine.

However tying it in a bow and blaming (in Europe at least) a nameless, faceless “Congress” or just blaming Trump would make it somewhat more palatable than the underlying reality this is what America does routinely - uses local populations as a proxy and disposes of them when it’s no longer politically or economically convenient.
jfman is offline   Reply With Quote