Thread: UK Timeline Doctor Who
View Single Post
Old 27-11-2023, 10:52   #765
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Re: Doctor Who

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
They did, actually. In Donna’s mum’s house, talking to the Meep, the Doctor addresses Meep as ‘he’ and gets a short sharp rebuke from Rose for the 21st century ‘crime’ of assuming someone’s gender. There then follows what can only be described as a template for making introductions and pronoun discovery as preferred by the trans lobby. If you watch the companion show on BBC3 (can’t remember what it’s called now, used to be Doctor Who Confidential years ago) there is a whole segment interviewing RTD and the actor playing Rose in which RTD states quite openly that his aim in doing this story with this character is to ‘normalise’ the trans lobby’s world view in public discourse.

Thankfully the episode is so good it’s possible to just roll your eyes at that segment and enjoy the rest of it for what it is - the best show-runner of the modern era, with the best Doctor/companion combination of the modern era, with a Disney-sized budget and an hour long running time.
Maybe I'm just ok with things and can accept that people have different thoughts and feeling and it's just a bit of respect to treat someone how they expect or wish to be addressed.

I mean if your name was Simon and people kept calling you Frank I'm sure you get pretty annoyed and fed up. This is similar to that. Referring to someone as them/they if they want shouldn't be a big deal.

So in my eyes nothing is forced forced on you or shoved in your face. It just part of the story talking about issues that trans people face everyday. If people have issues with that then surely that's their mindset that's the problem and not what the show is making reference to.