View Single Post
Old 24-07-2023, 12:00   #3
ThunderPants73
cf.mega poster

Services: BB & PHONE
ThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Using a SIM instead of standard broadband

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post

I used a 4G setup for a couple of years. It can work well but it’s a minefield. Lots of things to get right, beginning with finding the service provider with the best local signal, whether or not they’re the cheapest. I have seen an entire rural community 4G broadband trial fail spectacularly because they got this most basic requirement wrong at the outset.

So don’t start by looking at deals, start by thoroughly researching your local signal environment. You’re going to be placing a modem/router wherever the best 4G signal is in your house, and if you’re stuck with universally meh service from all providers you’re going to be adding an external antenna whose flylead must not be more than 5 metres long.

If you’re up for it I can probably answer most of your questions but I’m off out just now - happy to post more later if you want.
Thanks Chris, yeah, some advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm currently looking at some router reviews and also coverage quality for various networks. I'll no doubt have some questions for you!
ThunderPants73 is offline   Reply With Quote