View Single Post
Old 10-08-2021, 19:58   #4089
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
Re: Will Scotland Leave the UK?

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
There is actually a proposal for one (but it doesn't look likely to be built at the moment)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NorthConnect
Do Norway need more electricity? I suspect not.

No it wasn't. You said "The list of customers for the energy is somewhat limited by geography, ie just UK and perhaps Ireland". You already acknowledged (entirely reasonably) that Scotland could export to the rest of the UK; I was pointing out that it could then also export beyond England.
Norway is a net exporter of renewable electricity, so they obviously don't need it. The NorthConnect project is based upon exporting from Norway to the UK via the National Grid. It would be in competition with Scottish suppliers. Therefore very little taxable income raised for Scotland. The electricity is just "passing through" Scotland.
Would be a bit silly to try and transmit power from Scotland to Germany via Norway.
I included the possibility of UK(England, Wales, and NI), along with Ireland. What other countries are near to Scotland and have a large unfulfilled energy requirement? If France needed it, how would the power get there from Scotland, if not via England and the National Grid.
nomadking is offline   Reply With Quote