View Single Post
Old 11-11-2020, 16:31   #1526
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Re: Linear is old tech - on demand is the future

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
I don’t think we are as far apart as all that. I have said on countless occasions that by ‘linear TV’ I was referring to the existing broadcast channels. It is pretty obvious to everyone, surely, that live shows and live sport will always be available, but instead of being broadcast by conventional methods, it will be streamed.

Although you say the delivery method is secondary, this was the whole point of the thread. Yes, it’s the content that is important, in fact that is key. But I do not believe that we will be accessing that content the way we do now in about 15 years’ time. We will access it by way of IPTV, and while some of our existing channels may be accessible by that method initially, as you can on Now TV and the BBC I-Player, as people learn the simplicity of choosing programmes from the icons on display, most people will end up doing that. In turn, the various streamers will phase these channels out altogether.

The fact that you have now told us that even you spend Saturday nights on the I-Player is reassuring!
I spend Saturday nights watching BBC1. The means by which BBC1’s entirely linear schedule arrives at my house is neither here nor there. . Hundreds of my near neighbours don’t have this choice, however, because topography means the 4G signal is poor in most places locally, and BT stopped running fibre about 3 miles from here. Internet for most is either ADSL (not very fast) or satellite (not very cheap, and not unlimited).

In fact if the Freesat box is already on we will still use that in preference to iPlayer because the picture quality from the HD sat signal is better than iPlayer, even when iPlayer has access to 7 or 8mbps.