View Single Post
Old 06-04-2020, 09:04   #7571
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
If your fifteen year (twenty year?) plan to replace linear with streaming is relying on bad weather it certainly hasn't been so prevalent an issue to see Virgin Media soar ahead of Sky/Freeview in cabled areas.
Well, it's not. My comment was simply a factual one. Satellite and terrestrial broadcast transmissions are affected by weather (high pressure does not bring bad weather by the way) whereas cable and IPTV broadcasts are not.

By my calculation, jfman, 2035 is 15 years away. A lot will happen between now and then. The shift away from terrestrial TV broadcasts will result from the growing recognition by the population that so-called 'live' scheduled TV is not the best way to access TV programmes for reasons already explained; the increasing problem of bringing fresh new programming to the channels due to the growing domination of the streamers, impacting on advertising revenues; the continuing pressure by the government to replace the licence fee with a subscription model (which is not compatible with terrestrial broadcasting); and the pressure there will be to give up more of the spectrum to 5G, etc.

I appreciate that you have a different view, jfman, which is par for the course, but hopefully we will both live long enough to find out who was right.