View Single Post
Old 16-07-2019, 20:07   #970
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: Linear is old tech - on demand is the future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon View Post
Interesting article from CNBC about the the carriage renewal negotiations currently going on between Disney and Charter (John Malone's American cableco) and it could determine the future of not just American linear tv, but ours as well (in my opinion):

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/07/12/disn...aming-era.html
Thank you, Horizon. For me, a significant paragraph was this one:

As MoffettNathanson analyst Craig Moffett wrote in a note to clients this week, cable providers are coming around to the idea that it’s OK to lose TV subscribers as long as they keep paying for internet access.

This could be right, of course, but having just acquired the 'ultimate oomph' package, which gave me my existing channels + Sky Movies + Sky Sports + 500 Mb speed broadband (instead of 'only' 200 Mb) and a new 'unlimited' SIM for only £1 more than I was paying before, I do wonder if the cablecos are ready to ditch the pay tv subs so readily just yet.

It is a very confused picture, because by rights, TV subscribers should be migrating faster towards VOD, and yet, as some of the posts here show, some are still happy to be bullied into watching their favourite programmes at times dictated to them by the schedulers and to suffer having to watch intolerable waves of insufferable advertisements when they could be watching much better quality material at times of their choosing.

I still think the younger generation will ultimately change the ways of the older people, but I must admit to being surprised at the number of people who are content just to sit there and be fed whatever is thrown at them. If I ever get like that, I would be grzteful if someone would just put me down! Sorry if that was politically incorrect... :

Not really!